Thursday, December 9, 2010

Abstract Art: Learning appreciation

When we started the discussion in class about abstract art, I was sure that I could never understand or appreciate it.  There are still some forms of abstract art that I don't appreciate, and probably never will.  However, I have come to an appreciation of a view artists and their unique styles.  I especially like Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko.   Their styles are completely different, but both of them have an almost organic feel to them which is very appealing to me.  Also, neither is trying to make a statement with their art, but both rather leave it open for the viewer to interpret, which is a very democratic and fair way to present art.

Pollock's style is impressive to me because of the amazing balance he is able to achieve in his paintings.  When I first encountered his style, I was not impressed, because it seemed to me that even a small child could drip paint on a canvas and call it art.  Upon further investigation, though, I found that the different colors and patterns of paint are extremely well balanced in all of his paintings.  To achieve that kind of balance must take some measure of calculation, despite the intended randomness of the style.  His style is also appealing because of its fluid nature.  The paint almost seems to have a lifelike movement to it, which is very inviting to the viewer as well.  In short, I have learned to appreciate the depth and complexity of Pollock's work.

Rothko is another that at first I didn't find very impressive.  It seemed like his plain blocks of color were useless both aesthetically and thematically.  As I started to learn more about them, however, I came to a similar conclusion as I had with Pollocks paintings.  I had the opportunity to try making a parody of a color field painting using charcoal.  I found that the edges of Rothko's color fields were difficult to duplicate.  Like Pollock's, his edges have an almost organic feel to them, making the color blocks seem almost like simplified landscapes.  Having experienced to a small degree the creative process to this form of art, I now find his paintings peaceful and comfortable.  They are natural in a way that is very relaxing to me.  I have enjoyed getting to know more about abstract art, and going through the process of opening my mind a little to art forms that I don't understand very well.  In the future, this experience will help me not to judge things before I come to understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment