Monday, December 31, 2012

Mindfulness and Multi-tasking



I recently read a fascinating article in the New York Times about mindfulness, or concentration, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  The main gist of the article is to outline the benefits of stillness and concentration, taking a few minutes everyday to clear your mind from distractions, focus your thoughts, and still your body.  According to the article, their are significant cognitive and physical benefits to taking some time to concentrate your mind each day, even if only for five-to-ten minutes.  I was also fascinated by the flip-side of this article, which covered the detriments of multitasking, and spreading our minds and our time too thin. 

I had a professor in college who seemed to understand this very well.  He constantly told his classes that there was no such thing as multitasking. What we are doing when we think we are multitasking is switching our attention from one activity to another, and back, without really concentrating on either.  An easy way to see that this is true is to recall the last time you read a novel. Invariably when I read a book, there are instances when I realize that I have been "reading" for several pages without understanding or remembering a word of the story.  While my mind is focused on one thing, usually on some random line of thought, it can not simultaneously focus on reading my novel, and so I come up with a blank and must reread those pages. 

Another example my professor used was to imagine yourself riding a bike and reading a textbook at the same time.  He argued that when we divide our attention between two simultaneous, yet equally important, actions, we essentially fail to complete either action to the level that we would otherwise be able.  His purpose, of course, was to motivate his students to pay attention and participate in class, rather than spend their time surfing the net or playing games on their tablets. He sincerely wanted his students to succeed, and he knew that if they divided their attention, they would not learn much from his class. I would add to his statements that by dividing our attention in an attempt to multitask, we decrease our ability to focus and to think clearly. Likewise we waste more time in doing so than we would spend should we concentrate on each task separately. 

I think this is a very important topic, especially for students and children at home.  Due to the availability and portability of electronic entertainment, most children and students have a tablet or a smartphone in front of their face during the majority of their waking hours.  I don't know how many times I have watched a movie with my siblings, or my in-laws, only to look around and see that half of them are playing a game or reading on their device while they watch.  I have heard some people say that they cannot sit down and read a book unless their favorite music is blasting in their ears. My worry is that, for some of us, multitasking is becoming a necessity because we are losing the ability to focus and concentrate our minds on a single activity.  I have even heard fellow students say that they play games or read during class because the lecture is too "boring", and they just can't concentrate unless they have something to occupy their minds.  In the past I might have agreed with them, but I am starting to think that what we really need is not more mental stimulation, but a more refined ability to focus.


Several recent psychological studies, all mentioned in the article I posted above, have concluded that the ability to concentrate can not only make us more efficient in the way we use our time, but it can drastically increase our cognitive abilities.  That is why I am becoming more and more an advocate of mindfulness, though not necessarily in the way that the article above suggests. 

"Although the concept originates in ancient Buddhist, Hindu and Chinese traditions, when it comes to experimental psychology, mindfulness is less about spirituality and more about concentration: the ability to quiet your mind, focus your attention on the present, and dismiss any distractions that come your way."

My disagreement with this statement is in their willingness to discard the spiritual aspects of mindfulness.  While, according to the article, the concept originates in the eastern traditions, I think that concentration and focus are vital aspects of any spiritual tradition.  The purpose of religion, in general, is to help people rid themselves of the distractions of the world, answer questions about identity, and bring peace to the chaos around us. All the world religions help people achieve that purpose in some way or another, and almost all recommend some form of purposeful concentration. Some call it mindfulness, some call it meditation, and some call it prayer.  In any case, I would argue that mindfulness is more about ones spiritual state than about mental focus or mere concentration.  The reasons behind my contention are varied and complicated, due to their personal nature, but I will try to articulate my feelings on the subject clearly.

In order for mindfulness to be successful, one must be able to sit still, clear ones mind, put off all distracting thoughts, sources of stress, and worries, and concentrate on a single thing.  I believe that, in order to truly be at peace with oneself, you have to be balanced spiritually.  Human beings are made up of a body and a spirit, and if we do not take care of both together, we cannot be at peace inside.  The gospel of Jesus Christ teaches, among other things, that forgiveness of sins is possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ.  If I have faith in Him, keep His commandments to the best of my ability, repent of my sins, and follow the guidance of His Holy Spirit, I can know that my sins will be forgiven, and that I personally will become more like the Savior. 

Why is this so important in achieving more mental control and inner peace?  I know of no better way to clear my mind of stress, worry, and distraction than to know that I am at peace with God and with my standing before Him.  Likewise, I know of no better way to exercise control over my thoughts than to kneel before Him in silent prayer, pondering His truths and listening for His answers.  I know from personal experience that my mind works better when I take the time and effort to seek out a quiet place to pray and reflect.  Being mindful in this way helps me to renew my energy, focus my mind, and see the world around me more clearly.  In a world that is full of electronic entertainment and endless opportunities for mental stimulation, the urge to sit and let two or three different screens bombard my consciousness is tempting, but I think ultimately harmful (For a slightly more artistic take on this, see this post).  That is why I am making a concerted effort towards spending more time each day in mindfulness.  And that is why I recommend that when life gets stressful, and busy, and you can't manage to find time for everything, take some time to sit, or kneel, and mindfully find that inner calm that you so desperately need.

(This picture just seems peaceful to me: the still water, the mountains, and the general beauty of the scene.)

No comments:

Post a Comment